The purpose of this book is to provide you with an overview of the basic principles of good gardening. Whether you grow annuals, perennials, vegetables, shrubs or trees, the information is organized to help you understand the concepts behind gardening; the what, when, why and how.
The book contains many tips that will greatly improve your gardening effectiveness, and save you time, effort, and money. Gardening is a continual process of learning through experiences both good and bad. I hope you will enjoy and learn from the information and have many years of successful, enjoyable gardening!
100% made in the U.S.A. by Lessons from Nature in East Aurora, New York.
Topics covered in the book are:
- Step 1 - Know Your Garden: Condition of the soil, sun and moisture requirements, effects of wind, trees and microclimate. How to judge what plants will be successful in your gardens and yard so you have fewer failures.
- Step 2 – Make a Plan: What type of garden do you want and how much work do you want to do. Also includes an effective planning tool to enable you to have a well-planned out and successful garden.
- Step 3– Tools: Basic tools, their uses, and how to care for them.
- Step 4– Plant Care: Effective techniques for planting, watering, weeding, deadheading, cutting back, and transplanting & dividing. Your plants will thrive and these methods will make your gardening time more effective and efficient.
- Step 5 – Compost & Mulch: How and why to use. What is compost, where can you get it, and how to make your own. What is mulch, what are the different types of mulch and how and when to use it.