Regarding the chip in the finish of the product: It is a result of seasoning the pan in production. The cookware is hanging as it rides on a conveyer through the seasoning process. As it rides through the seasoning tunnel, an electrostatic sprayer applies a natural vegetable oil seasoning to the pan. As it the pan passes through the seasoning ovens, the seasoning oil can sometimes collect into a small bubble at the lowest point of the pan and as it’s heated in the seasoning ovens, that bubble can develop a baked-like surface. That surface can sometimes flake and reveal a brownish color beneath. The brownish color is not rust but caramelized seasoning baked onto the iron itself and disappears with use. It is inherent in the seasoning process and not a defect.
- The original Lodge Camp Dutch Oven does it all — and it's been everywhere. A flanged lid holds hot coals and flips over for griddling, while the legs keep the oven at an ideal distance from hot coals. Includes Camp Dutch Oven Cooking 101 cookbook.
- PRE-SEASONED COOKWARE. A good seasoning makes all the difference. Lodge provides pre-seasoned cookware with no synthetic chemicals; just soy based vegetable oil. The more you use your iron, the better the seasoning becomes.
- MADE IN THE USA. Lodge has been making cast iron cookware in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (pop. 3,300) since 1896. With over 120 years of experience, their cast iron is known for its high quality design, lifetime durability, and cooking versatility.
- CAMP COOKING 101. Lodge knows that cooking is about more than just the food; it’s about the memories. Whether you’re roasting a chicken in the oven, or cooking chili over the campfire, Lodge has you covered with the included Camp Dutch Oven Cooking 101 cookbook.
- FAMILY-OWNED. Lodge is more than just a business; it’s a family. The Lodge family founded the company in 1896, and they still own it today. From environmental responsibility to community development, their heads and hearts are rooted in America.
- 100% made in the U.S.A. by Lodge in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.